Menu

Historic and Cultural Sites on Display During Doors Open Event

By Kevin Lajoie
September 5, 2012

St. Lawrence Power Development Visitor CentreA series of historic and cultural sites in Cornwall and S, D & G will be opening their doors to all during the annual Doors Open event on September 8th and 9th.

“As one of the oldest parts of Ontario, Cornwall and the Counties has a tremendous amount of history and heritage,” said Linda Wilson, Executive Director of Cornwall and the Counties Tourism. “Doors Open serves to celebrate our heritage and culture by giving residents a unique chance to look into our past. Best of all, it’s free!”

A total of 21 locations in Cornwall and S, D & G will be participating in the two-day event, and many of the sites have special events and activities planned in conjunction with Doors Open.

“Some of the participating sites aren’t normally open to the general public,” adds Mrs. Wilson.

Doors Open location maps are available at the Cornwall and the Counties Tourism office (the old Cornwall Jail and the corner of Pitt and Water Streets) and additional information can also be found on the Doors Open website .

Participating Doors Open sites include:

Aultsville Train Station

  • County Road #2, Morrisburg
  • Sat. Sept. 8th – 11:00 am to 4:00 pm
  • Sun. Sept. 9th – 11:00 am to 4:00 pm
  • Constructed between 1866 and 1889 for the Grand Trunk Railway Company, the station was originally located in the Lost Village of Aultsville. Inside the station, visitors will find a ticket office and a collection of train memorabilia. Also on site is a locomotive, passenger coach and baggage and refrigeration car.


St. Lawrence Power Development Visitor Centre

  • 2500 Second Street West, Cornwall
  • Sat. Sept. 8th – 11:00 am to 4:00 pm
  • Sun. Sept. 9th – 11:00 am to 4:00 pm
  • Ontario Power Generation’s (OPG) St. Lawrence Power Development Visitor Centre is located on thenorth bank of the St. Lawrence River, just east of the Robert H. Saunders Generating Station, in the west end of Cornwall, Ontario.

Cornwall Community Museum

  • 160 Water Street West (Lamoureux Park), Cornwall
  • Sat. Sept. 8th - 10:00 am to 4:00 pm
  • Sun. Sept. 9th - 10:00 am to 4:00 pm
  • Your visit will include a 1900 kitchen filled with Cornwall’s famous Flack and Van Arsdale crocks; a studycirca 1910; a 1950’s Seaway Era dining room with Beach furniture; the Loyalist parlour; Special ChaletGlass Exhibit

Historic Cornwall Jail

  • 11 Water Street West, Cornwall
  • Sat. Sept. 8th - 10:00 am to 3:00 pm
  • Sun Sept. 9th - 10:00 am to 3:00 pm
  • The jail closed in 2002 in favour of newer facilities in major cities, but the exercise yard, visitation area, common areas and cell blocks have been maintained. Step into a cell to experience life behind bars. Learn about the history and prison life.


United Counties of S,D & G Administration Building

  • 20 Pitt Street, Cornwall
  • Sat. Sept. 8th - 10:00 am to 3:00 pm
  • Sun. Sept. 9th - 10:00 am to 3:00 pm
  • This historic building houses the administrative offices of the United Counties of S.D.&G. The stone structure was once the site of the county courthouse, gaol and gallows. Other features include the refurbished council chambers, preserved architectural features and a display about past wardens.

Cornwall Downtown & Le Village History & Heritage Tours

  • Sat. Sept. 8th - 10:00 am to 3:00 pm
  • Sun. Sept. 9th - 10:00 am to 3:00 pm
  • Stroll through these Shopping Districts on a self-guided tour and view outdoor historical murals, unique architecture and learn the stories of the settlement of the City of Cornwall.
  • Pick up a self-guided tour brochure at Cornwall and the Counties Tourism, 11 Water Street West, Cornwall

Church of the Good Shepherd

  • 506 First Street East, Cornwall
  • Sat. Sept. 8th – 12:00 pm to 4:00 pm
  • The old wooden church was built by Rev. Cannon Joseph J. Mountain in1886. After a short move, and an alternate interior layout, this church is the only parish church in Canada to be arranged as a cathedral.

Central Public School

  • 200 Amelia St., Cornwall
  • Sat. Sept. 8th - 12:00 Noon to 4:00 pm
  • Sun. Sept. 9th - 12:00 Noon to 4:00 pm
  • Central Public School has played a key role in the education of generations of Cornwall residents. The first building was constructed in 1817. Within the past few years the school has been completely torn down and rebuilt. Come visit this gorgeous facility show casing the original grand entrance.


Trinity Anglican Church - Cornwall

  • 105 Second Street West, Cornwall
  • Sat. Sept. 8th - 10:00 am to 4:00 pm
  • Trinity Anglican Church, the oldest Parish in the Anglican Diocese, dates back to 1784, when it was founded by the United Empire Loyalists. Built in 1868, the current structure is a fine example of Gothic Revival architecture, and is surrounded by its original Loyalistera cemetary. Three organ recitals by Organist Brian Hubelit.

TVCOGECO

  • 517 Pitt Street, Cornwall
  • Sat. Sept. 8th - 10:00 am to 3:00 pm
  • Welcome to community television – a unique and exciting way of communicating with your fellow citizens. COGECO provides a dedicated Community Channel, staff and training for the production of non-commercial programming relevant to community needs and interests.

Généalogie et Archives Saint-Laurent

  • 124 Anthony St, Cornwall
  • Sat. Sept. 8th – 1:00 pm - 4:00 pm
  • Sun. Sept. 9th – 1:00 pm - 4:00 pm
  • Books, cds, & internet access to look into family roots. A historical room to learn about local and general history. Also, deeds, land transfer act and will dates prior to 1940 from the surrounding area.


Salem United Church

  • 19041 County Road #2, Summerstown
  • Sat. Sept. 8th - 10:00 am to 1:00 pm
  • Sun. Sept. 9th - 9:00 am to 1:00 pm (Service at 9 am)
  • Salem Church is one of the first congregations established in Glengarry by Rev. John Bethune in 1787 and has served the community for 222 years. Visitors are welcomed to the intimate sanctuary to participate in Sunday Service.


South Lancaster Walking Tour

  • Sat. Sept. 8th – 10 am to 4 pm
  • Sun. Sept. 9th – 10 am to 4 pm
  • Begins at the Wharf in South Lancaster


St. Raphaels Ruins

  • County Road #18, North of Williamstown
  • Sat. Sept. 8th - 10:00 am to 4:00 pm
  • Sun. Sept. 9th - 1:00 pm to 4:00 pm
  • In 1970 a fire consumed the church of St. Raphaels leaving only bare stone walls. Explore the ruins of this church built in 1821, cemetery stones and the old bell.


Sir John Johnson Manor House

  • 19692 William Street, Williamstown
  • Sat. Sept. 8th - 10:00 am to 4:00 pm
  • Sun. Sept. 9th - 10:00 am to 4:00 pm
  • One of the oldest homes in Ontario. This five-bay Georgian-style log house was constructed for Sir John Johnson between 1784 and 1792. With its associated grist and saw mills, the house became a focus for the community of United Empire Loyalists and the fur traders of the North’west Company.

Bethune Thompson House

  • 19730 John Street, Williamstown
  • Sat. Sept. 8th 12:00 noon to 5:00 pm
  • Sun. Sept. 9th 12:00 noon to 5:00 pm
  • This house encompasses the original 1784 “poteaux sur sol” cabin of loyalist Peter Ferguson, as well as the 1804 house of Rev. John Bethune (the first Presbyterian minister in Upper Canada) and David Thompson (one of Canada’s earliest mapmakers).


Nor’westers & Loyalist Museum

  • 19651 John Street, Williamstown
  • Sat. Sept. 8th – 11:00 am to 5:00 pm
  • Sun. Sept. 9th - 11:00 am to 5:00 pm
  • The museum comprehensively depicts the story of Sir John Johnson and Loyalist followers who settled here during the American Revolution in 1784. “The Old School” Exhibit to be unveiled.

St. Andrews United Church

  • 5793 Church Street, Williamstown
  • Sat. Sept. 8th, 2010 - 10:00 am to 2:00 pm
  • Sun. Sept. 9th, 2010 - 9:30 am to 2:00 pm
  • Sunday Service 9:30 am to 10:30 am
  • St. Andrew’s was founded as a Presbyterian Church in 1787 by Reverend John Bethune a Loyalist Chaplain. The present church building was started in the fall of 1812 and built in the neo-classic style. Work, slowed by the war, was finally completed in 1818. The present interior of the church dates from 1882.

Raisin River Heritage Centre

  • County Road 18, St. Andrews West
  • Sat. Sept. 8th - 10:00 am to 4:00 pm
  • Sun. Sept. 9th - 10:00 am to 4:00 pm
  • The Heritage Centre is the “hub” for historical information for the village of St. Andrews. Walk around this small community and visit the church and parish hall, the log church replica, the pioneer graveyard. Interpreters on site.

Martintown Grist Mill

  • Dundas Street (just east of bridge), Martintown
  • Sat. Sept. 8th - 10:00 am to 4:00 pm
  • Sun. Sept. 9th - 10:00 am to 4:00 pm
  • The Martintown Mill was built in 1846 by Alexander McMartin. It served the community until 1947. Theold mill was near collapse but has been successfully stabilized.

Cannamore Orchard Farm Museum

  • 1480 County Road #32, between Morewood & Crysler
  • Sat. Sept. 8th - 10 am to 5 pm
  • Sun. Sept. 9th - 10 am to 5 pm
  • Cannamore Orchard has created an exhibition of materials related to apples, strawberries, maple sugar,tapping and honey production. Artifacts show tools used over the last century. Agriculture display free this weekend. Interpreters on site.

Lost Villages Museum

  • County Road #2, Long Sault
  • Sat. Sept. 8th - 10:00 am to 5:00 pm
  • Sun. Sept. 9th - 10:00 am to 5:00 pmThe Museum is a collection of 11 heritage buildings with displays depicting and telling the story of thegreat Hydro & Seaway projects of the 1950s. Former residents of the actual lost villages will be on site with many personal memories.

The event is sponsored by Cornwall and the Counties Tourism, Ontario Power Generation, Heritage Cornwall, TV COGECO and Seaway News.

Category: Arts and Entertainment