Accessorize Your Life at Laura's Flowers and Fine Gifts
Cornwall Ontario - The first thing you realize when you walk into Laura’s Flowers and Fine Gifts is that there is much more to the store than meets the eye. The front of the story is full of interesting and unique home decor items, yet as you journey further into the building you find jewellery, clothing, and of course flowers. The back room is another store unto itself, with shelves well stocked with all sorts of kitchen wares and fancy food items.
“Our product selection is very diverse” says owner Kim Sabourin. “I feel that we could be considered a lifestyle store.”
Laura’s first opened in 1988 as a flower shop, but under Kim’s stewardship has evolved into a gift store with product selections that include clothing, jewellery, gourmet food, small housewares, home decor, fresh and artificial flowers, baby items and novelty gifts.
The store was named after her husband’s sister, and his store, Cornwall Lighting and Accessories is right next door with a shared interior walkway.
Like most Cornwall retailers, Kim is busy dealing with the holiday season as Christmas shoppers rush to fill gift lists.
Hot items right now include the Corkcicle (a gadget for wine lovers that instantly cools your wine); and Whisky Stones – small soapstones that chill your favorite spirit without diluting its flavor. Also selling well is the Little Black Dress Hanging Jewelry Organizer, which holds a huge selection and hangs in your closet taking up very little space. For foodies, try a selection of Vegan chocolate, which includes 7 pieces of chocolate representing a different chakra of the body.
Kim is an avid reader, attends industry trade shows and makes all the purchase decisions for the store. She is always on the hunt for unique items that are new to Canada, and that includes home decor items.
“Consumers are now purchasing more statement pieces versus smaller items,” she says. “More customers are using interior decorators and are coming in with a vision for us to fulfill. They enjoy being in an environment surrounded by inspiring products.”
Along with her dedicated and experienced staff, Kim works the floor every day and listens closely to what her customers are looking for.
“I feel a hands-on approach with customers is greatly appreciated,” she says. “After all we are in the business of meeting their needs.”
Kim also connects with the community beyond the store, participating in fundraisers for Hospice Cornwall, the Cornwall Community Hospitals and donating to many charity events and local causes.
Laura’s Flowers and Fine Gifts is located at 1140 Brookdale Avenue in Cornwall. The store is open 7 days a week during the Christmas shopping season. You can reach the store at (613) 936-1777.
Interested in other Cornwall businesses? Check out these recent news stories:
- Christmas Shopping in Cornwall
- Schulman's Keeps Customers Happy with Old-Fashion Service
- Dreamland Offers Fashionable and Quality Outfits for Children
- Gordon Jewellers Serving a Loyal Clientele for 7 Decades
- Smart, Suave and Stylish Finds at The Squire Shop
- Cornwall Computer Stores Keep Tech Savvy Customers Happy
- Bicycle World Offers Much More Than Bicycles
- Local Sports Star Turns Entrepreneur
- Future Looks Bright for Fantasy Realm Comic Shop
- Life's Little Pleasures at the Heart of Thriving Downtown
- Downtown Restaurant Scene Grows with Opening of Table 21
- Kid's Korner One of Eastern Ontario's Best Toy Shops
- Look Good, Feel Good With Aubé Frères Fine Apparel
- Pommier Jewellers Creates a New Cornwall Landmark
- New Food Shop Dishing Up Fresh Meals in Downtown Cornwall
- Cornwall Becoming a Model for Downtown Revitalization