Dreamland Offers Fashionable and Quality Outfits for Children
Cornwall Ontario - Smack in the heart of Downtown Cornwall is a store where the wishes of both children and parents can be satisfied. Dreamland is a children’s clothing store that offers fashionable and quality outfits for boys and girls, from infants to the teen years.
Deborah Ouderkirk opened Dreamland in 1985 as a children’s furniture shop.
“I was managing a store in Ottawa and the owners asked me to open another store for them,” recalls Deborah. “I thought why not open one for myself? It was an opportunity to return to my hometown Cornwall and be close to family!”
Deborah loved working with product lines geared to children and saw an opportunity to expand into clothing and toys. She brought in her brother in-law Kevin Ouderkirk to be a partner. The store was so successful they decided to split, with Kevin opening up Kid’s Korner down the road and Deborah keeping Dreamland to focus on clothing. Three decades later, both stores are thriving.
As you walk into Dreamland you are presented with merchandise displays carefully organized throughout a store that has hardwood flooring and exposed wood beams. The building itself has been renovated and is meticulously maintained.
“The store is a perfect size to run it by myself,” says Deborah. “I love dealing with customers. It is important to listen to each and every need so that you can help them choose the right outfit.”
Dreamland has a wide variety of clothing, from casual to dressy in both boys and girls. Popular brands include Guess, Bench, Buffalo, Mee Too, Petit Lem, Lime Apple, and Jo Lene. The store also has a popular gift selection and carries Wee Squeek shoes.
This Christmas season “bubble hoodies” by Lime Apple are hot sellers, and Dreamland has a large supply in many colours, along with complementary leggings and tops. Children like to be comfy and cozy, so cotton and bamboo are popular fabrics.
Deborah notes that grandparents are often the ones who like to continue traditions such as buying Christmas sleepers or a child’s first snowsuit. Parents, on the other hand, like to buy clothes that stand up to ruff play and also look just as good after they have been washed over and over.
“More and more people come in looking for better quality clothing,” says Deborah. “Canadian goods are in demand and we carry the Alessia dress line and PJ'ZZZ sleepers, both of which are made in Canada.”
The focus on quality and good value has provided Dreamland with a large and loyal customer base that includes people in Ottawa, Montreal and Upper New York State.
“I love serving all of the wonderful families that I have come to know,” laughs Deborah. “The moms that bought for their children are now back buying for their grandchildren. The children that we helped outfit back in the 90's are now buying for their own children!”
Dreamland is located at 228 Pitt Street in Downtown Cornwall. The store is open 7 days a week during the Christmas shopping season. You can reach the store at (613) 936-0447.
Interested in other Cornwall businesses? Check out these recent news stories:
- Christmas Shopping in Cornwall
- Schulman's Keeps Customers Happy with Old-Fashion Service
- Gordon Jewellers Serving a Loyal Clientele for 7 Decades
- Smart, Suave and Stylish Finds at The Squire Shop
- Cornwall Computer Stores Keep Tech Savvy Customers Happy
- Accessorize Your Life at Laura's Flowers and Fine Gifts
- Bicycle World Offers Much More Than Bicycles
- Local Sports Star Turns Entrepreneur
- Future Looks Bright for Fantasy Realm Comic Shop
- Life's Little Pleasures at the Heart of Thriving Downtown
- Downtown Restaurant Scene Grows with Opening of Table 21
- Kid's Korner One of Eastern Ontario's Best Toy Shops
- Look Good, Feel Good With Aubé Frères Fine Apparel
- Pommier Jewellers Creates a New Cornwall Landmark
- New Food Shop Dishing Up Fresh Meals in Downtown Cornwall
- Cornwall Becoming a Model for Downtown Revitalization